Horse Talk!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stable mirrors?

5 posters

Go down

Stable mirrors? Empty Stable mirrors?

Post by toraf Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:00 am

I've heard people saying they're good for horses that are stressed in the stables as they think they have a friend? Flynn absolutely adores mirrors - there's one in the arena our neighbour lets us borrow, and every time we pass it he gawps at himself Laughing Anyway, while he's alone at the yard do you think it could be a good idea? He's genuinely not fussed or stressed at all, in fact I'd say it's pretty much impossible for him to be more laid back Laughing But I just think it seems like a nice idea! But my mum just laughed at me and said it was mean hahah so I was wondering what other people thought/if they have had any experience with them!!
toraf
toraf

Back to top Go down

Stable mirrors? Empty Re: Stable mirrors?

Post by Morgan&Moon Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:11 am

Mooner thinks mirrors are crazy fun, my old barn had one in the arena and he loves to stop and have a look Smile

I've ridden horses in the past who have been down right frightened by them though. Obviously they get used to it when they realize snorting and screaming at their reflection doesn't do anything! Don't really see anything wrong with letting them have one while turned out or something. But I could see how it might become depressing for them when their friend doesn't offer up addition interaction. Don't know anyone who has mirrors in the stalls though, its a funny idea!
Morgan&Moon
Morgan&Moon

http://www.morganbadleyhorsemanship.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S.cattered Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I think it's super cute when horses are fascinated by mirrors. haha.

I don't think it's mean at all, I think it's nice for horses that get a bit lonely or stressed out.
Even he doesn't a mirror friend might still be nice for Flynn Smile
S.cattered
S.cattered

https://www.facebook.com/greendayshoes

Back to top Go down

Post by TequilaRainbow Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:40 pm

We don't have any mirrors at the place we are at but we have windows xD
Bella freaked the first time she saw herself in the mirror. She started snorting and pawing at the ground.
Then she got curious and sniffed it - she ended up bored unless the reflection moved or something.

I've never had experience with mirrors though.
My girl has two paddock buddies at the moment and doesn't get stressed when they are out.
TequilaRainbow
TequilaRainbow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rival Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:20 am

I've seen mirrors in arenas, but not in stalls or pastures. Most of the horses at the barn I'm at with mirrors in the arena have been around them long enough that it doesn't bother them, but one of the new mares, after working in the arena for several months, decided her reflection was monstrous and started having a fit when she saw herself lol.

I never thought about the fact that horses might think they have a buddy if they can see themselves - don't know if that would be a good thing or a bad thing in some cases!
Rival
Rival

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum