Horse Talk!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darn Tootin'

2 posters

Go down

Darn Tootin' Empty Darn Tootin'

Post by Justus4ever Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm

Ok so have to tell the backstory here...not too long. So around Xmas Dove developed a moisture dermatitis on her front left leg just around the pastern. All hair fell out and it was just yucky. I soaked the scabs off and used a diaper rash cream as per the vet - no more soaking and just ointment. In a week it doubled in size and she presented a soreness in her front left with heat from the hairless patch and the hoof itself. Consulted vet and he said have her trimmed (she was just coming due) so I had her trimmed and my beloved farrier palpated her hoof and leg with no reaction or sensativity. DEFINITE heat coming from the front left hoof though so he advised time off and bute to control any swelling within the hoof and prevent damage caused by heat. So a month later with 2 weeks of small dose bute she's been sound for 2 weeks. Yay! Right?

Ya no...tonight her part boarder (supposed to start a lease next month) was riding her and she started to favor her front left again. Not nearly as bad as it was, but a trace of a limp. Got off, checked tack, felt all legs/hooves and not a trace of heat anywhere. Pushed her a little into trot and it didn't subside, tried trotting without saddle and it was still just a hint of her being off so called it a day. My vet's not available until Tuesday and I had asked about having xrays done or what the next step is to figuring this out and he said for sure if the trim and time off didn't help any. Darn it.

Dove's never been lame. Ever. Even with actual injury, she was never lame. Now here I am with a mystery lameness...worst kind too. Wish an abcess would just pop up or something, at least then it's SOMETHING and fixable. Nothing worse than the guessing game. She's completely fine in the pasture, but riding into any trot work she's favoring it and yet canter seems ok? Is it possible for a horse to relate their previous limping to a month of no work and relaxation? LOL
Justus4ever
Justus4ever

Back to top Go down

Darn Tootin' Empty Re: Darn Tootin'

Post by Justus4ever Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:25 pm

And the phrase that makes every horse owner cringe - suspensory damage.

Had the vet out today and he couldn't put his finger on where her lameness stemmed from - she's not head bobbing lame and she's the type of horse that tolerates a lot with minimal complaint in the first place so palpating only showed small reactions over her higher tendon area.

Nerve blocked up the leg and concluded she's suffering from DSLD - Degenerative Suspensory Ligament Disease. Thus far there has been no swelling or heat in the upper leg at all, only heat in the opposing front hoof from overcompensating due to discomfort and now a slight limp at trot.

Everything the vet said today and everything I've read and researched tonight tells me that Dove is a rather mild case and that it's entirely possible to give her 6 solid months of rest and have her comfortable for slow, easy trail rides. I'll have my vet back for ultrasound so we can do it again in 6 months to see progress in healing.

Devastating that her riding career is over at age 15, but she can easily have another 10 enjoyable and wonderful years in her if healed completely and then not pushed. I understand it's a degenerative disease and cannot be cured, but can avoid/slow further damage.

After the vet left and I thoroughly groomed Dove I blanketed her and started back to the paddock, barely made it to the barn door before starting to cry so hard I lost my breath. Must've stayed out in the paddock for 20 minutes or more just sitting on her sobbing as she sniffed my toes. We had a moment...

Now to tell her 14 year old part boarder...I called her mom tonight and she cried and said not to do anything just yet, we'd touch base this week - no way she'd do a lease on a horse that has to heal just to be walk/trot. I know they love her, they've been with her a year, but she'd be giving up all showing and performance goals by staying with Dove. I asked them not to pay me this month for part board until I had gotten to the bottom of her lameness...

I do have one promising potential placement both for the 6 months healing and retirement home as casual trail riding partner to a 7 year old girl in need of a safe walk/trot horse. Starting to accept the changes but hit me pretty hard today Sad Just wanted to share on here...
Justus4ever
Justus4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by toraf Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:21 am

Shit, I'm so sorry Shay-la that must be so horrible.. Poor Dove, but it sounds like you've done everything right by her, and are making sure she gets everything she needs.. Hope you're ok Sad
toraf
toraf

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus4ever Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Honestly I was most disappointed for her part boarder...they had just agreed to a full lease and intended to compete in low level eventing! Poor kid was heart broken...I've had my years with Dove, yes I'm incredibly disappointed with our findings and will greatly miss all the potential she still had, but she was becoming to this girl what she was to me 10 years ago. To see that ended so fast and no chance to heal and try again just sucked!

I have the vet coming to do ultra sounds to see what damage is done permanently if any, I believe we caught this early as we stopped riding at the first sign of a limp and therefore hope that she'll make a full recovery! Unfortunately, because of WHY she became sore, hard work will never be in her books again. If we can keep her from over flexing by limiting work load then she should be able to stay sound for a very long time still Smile I'm really hoping that I can get the ok from my vet to breed her...Justus has been an amazing pony and I'd love to raise and train another Dove foal! Picked my stallion and everything...

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts Smile Was kinda a rough patch. Appreciate the concern!
Justus4ever
Justus4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum